Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Orange Marmalade aftermath... Orange Extract.

After we got finished making our half a ton of orange marmalade we still had a ton of peels left over. So I went a googling to see how to make orange extract out of the left overs! I was in luck there is a whole how to on the Live Strong website. Here is the link if you would like to try it yourself using their precise instructions. http://www.livestrong.com/article/354088-how-to-extract-oil-from-the-skin-of-oranges/ Here is my how to, its a little less scientific.

What you will need:
Orange Peel
Mason Jar with lid and ring
Vodka

Step 1: Put cut up orange skins on a sunny shelf for a couple of hours to dry them.
Step 2: When peels are decently dry put them in a food processor until they turn into a dry paste like consistency. It will look something like this.
Step 3: Put the orange paste into a clear mason jar.
Step 4: Pour in vodka until the orange is just covered. Seal jar and shake.
Step 5: Put jar near a sunny window for 3 days, shake at least 2 times a day.

Step 5: Strain out the peel using a cloth so that the liquid goes into a shallow pan. I just used a thin dish towel.
Step 6: Allow the liquid to sit for at least 12 hours so that the alcohol evaporates. Here is a series of photos to show how it looks throughout the 12 hours.

Step 7: Restrain liquid to remove any chunks that might have gotten into the extract, I used a coffee filter.
Step 8: Pour into a seal able container and store in a dark area. I found this container at Michaels for 99 cent! Isn't it a lovely color!!! I had a little bit left in the container that I strained it in so I rubbed it all over my hands, they are so soft now!

While on the live strong site I found a page about purposes for orange oil here it is! I hope that some of you readers out there try it. Let us know how yours turns out! http://www.livestrong.com/article/185636-purpose-of-orange-oil/

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Way more than an oz. lol. I am not positive of the amount though.

      Delete
  2. We added 2 tbsp of our orange oil to our marinade for our pork loin. OMG how delicious. If you want the recipe let us know.

    ReplyDelete