Sunday, February 5, 2012

Pro*CRAFT*ination

No, I don't have a lisp, I have a procrastination problem, and it involves a lot of crafting. Now before everyone starts lecturing me (mother), let me defend myself, as much as I can.

Although I know that my move is looming on the horizon (holy crap 5 days to pack!), the inevitable sifting through my belongings rakes up a multitude of lost and unfinished projects that beg to be addressed. Usually while enjoying a nice film, or an episode of Downton Abbey (anyone else obsessed!?) Some of what you will see here today were already completed projects; some were projects to give to folks before my departure. So although my time could have been better spent (in my defense, most of these were projects I took to work), they did accomplish one thing: They freed up valuable space. They also rock, but that's irrelevant.

And so, I bring you: The Already-Finished Projects That I've Probably Moved 500 Miles

I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but my friend and co-worker has pretty much the cutest baby on the planet. I'm kind of sad we aren't related, so that if something catastrophic happened, I might possibly receive custody of this giggly, smiley small person. Darn the bad luck. Anyway, said child has become the dumping ground for all my baby-nesting projects, as I am childless but still can't stop myself from making some of the adorable baby accoutrements I see. I think her mom is ok with it. And so, as I was sifting through the stuff still in my former-roommate's basement, I found these babies that I made while living in Virginia (2 years ago, cough cough...), when I re-discovered knitting. First, is the watermelon hat.

I have no idea why this is sideways.


Can we get a collective "Ahhhhh"? I can't wait to see this on a sweet baby noggin. Nothing cuter than children dressed like fruits. Which leads us to this:
This was originally supposed to be a lime, and was my first stranded knitting project, but honestly, it could be a lime, a turtle, or the outside of the watermelon to my over-imaginative mind. Whatever you think it is, I'm sure the baby will make it look cuter. 

A non-baby project that I had sitting around will hopefully fulfill a friend's need for a brooch (if we ever get together, agh!) I made this like a year and a half ago, but hopefully it will fit in with her shabby-chic aesthetic.
If not, haha sucker, it's a handmade gift and now you'll have to keep it forever!
And so we move along to Projects Whose Parts Were Finished, But Not Completely Assembled (isn't that life?) I'm pretty sure I also made these in Virginia, 2 years and 500 miles ago. It was supposed to be stuffed with a foam cube, but I really just wanted it to be in chubby baby hands asap, so it's stuffed with fiber-fill, and as such is not square in the slightest, but I'm sure the baby won't critique my lack of geometry skills. 
In fact, I'm pretty sure she'll just slobber on it.
Each side is a different pattern, which was great for learning new stitches. There's a purple, red, and green side that you can't see. Not that I don't love my friend, but I can't wait until babe is chucking this at her :-)

Which brings us to the final project of the night, Things That I Had Just Barely Started But Should Probably Finish Before I Leave: a headband for my roomie. She's a brave woman, and actually goes outside to exercise (run, what is that?) so I thought she could use one of these to keep her ears warm. Except that it hasn't really gotten cold this year. But whatevs, I started it before I realized this was going to be eternal fall. There's always next year. These are a good way to keep your ears warm without looking entirely like a snowman. Hopefully a little more stylish. 
You can also see that I have packed nothing in my office.
 They kind of remind me of a 20's turban. They're super-easy to make. You literally knit a rectangle long enough to go around your head (you can make it as wide or as skinny as you want it.) After you bind off, you sew the ends together, overlapped, and then pull the yarn to gather it. Then you just wrap some extra yarn around it to cover the join. I think this one took under 2 hours once I finally picked it back up. I made two for myself over Christmas, and I finished each one while watching one of the last installments of Harry Potter.

A better view. And yes, mom, I know my hair is a mess. I promise I fixed it after I saw this picture.
And there you have it folks. Moving is a process. And for me, it's achingly slow. But I also accomplish a lot in my efforts to not have to pack as much junk. Best of luck to you all as you do your spring cleaning, moving, etc. May many projects finally be finished!

~Sarah



No comments:

Post a Comment