Sunday, November 20, 2011

Shoes, Shoes, Shoes

No doubt about it, I am a total girl when it comes to shoes. I love shoes. I hoard shoes. I was rightfully born on the same day as Imelda Marcos. I wouldn't go so far as to say shoes are my life, but I do get great satisfaction from the purchasing and wearing of a plethora of shoes.


I get shoes from many, many places. Some are gifted to me, some I purchase (a rarity), and some I thrift. In fact, some of my favorite shoes are from the thrift store. Including this pair:
This was a lovely pair of Dollhouse cherry red flats that I found in a Goodwill in Ohio. They're glorious. They're comfortable, cute, and who doesn't want a bright red pair of shoes? Well, I love these so much, they are definitely looking rough around the edges. Not only have I completely worn the lining out, but I almost cried when I saw this happen:
Oh noes! Total blowout. Not going to lie, I've been wearing them in this condition for... a while now. Finally, I decided I'd looked enough like a hobo, and either I would have to fix them or get rid of them (NOOOOOOO!) So, taking what I'd learned with making glitter flats for my niece, I decided that glitter would cover a multitude of sins. And so the process began! There are only a few short steps to this process, but I have to say the results are fantastic!

First, you locate your sad pair of shoes. Check! Then, you gather supplies.



(Not shown: Clear spray paint)

I used matte Mod Podge, Tacky Glue, and a really fine glitter. You can use whatever glitter you want really. I just wanted these a little more subtle, and less Dorothy. 

Step Two: Glue!

Working in sections, cover your shoe in tacky glue. Make sure it's not too thick or it will slump (trust me.)

Step Three: GLITTER!
Whoa baby! I did this over a bowl so that I could just dump the excess back in. Except the lid of my jar didn't come off. But still. Bowl is a good idea. After you've worked your way around the entire shoe, let it dry thoroughly. I watched a movie. 

Step Four: Glitter lock down. 
At this point, you could probably stop. However, I do not want glitter shedding everywhere whenever I walk (as magical as that sounds.) I also wanted them a little less sparkly and a little more mature looking. I decided, based on my experiences with the niece's shoes, to give them a good clear coat of spray paint. This held down the glitter, and also made it a little less obnoxious. And now, the final result!

TADA! One shimmery red pair of shoes!

With no insides peeking out!

I have to say I was very pleased with the way these came out. I also went on a rampage and made new linings, as you can see! Those were super-simple to do. I used the sole of another pair of shoes (which I also recovered) and traced around it on a piece of doubled-over fabric. 

That's really all there is to it. I used pinking shears so I would get a pretty fray-free edge, and it also looks cute. Not a huge deal if you don't have them, as you just slap down a layer of glue, let it dry, and then put Mod Podge over top to seal it in. I ended up doing two more pairs like that, a beige pair (which is where my pattern came from, and a black pair. I think they ended up looking great. 



So, if you have a pair of shoes that you love, and they seem to be giving up the ghost, don't let them go until they're REALLY worn out ;-) Remember: Use it up, wear it out, make do, or do without! I usually chose the make do, and make it FABULOUS!

Looking forward to a great week!
~Sarah



No comments:

Post a Comment