Thursday, December 8, 2011

Thrifting GOLD



Hey guys! Finally getting around to showing you all the stuff I got over Thanksgiving. Everything came from an awesome place called Grandmother's Attic in Bowling Green. It's a treasure trove of the awesome, random, and usually low-priced. So let's get to it!

The first thing that really caught my eye was this beauty.
A shiny retro breadbox. It was in pretty good condition, just a little bit of rust and some dirt, but no big holes or anything. The inside still has the shelf and the wooden lining for the door.
It was only $5! We went to another shop later and I saw the same one, but missing the shelf and not as shiny, but theirs was $20! Score!

I also got this cool green lock box. Unfortunately when I scrubbed some dirty spots it took a little of the finish off. I think it was like $2. Perfect inside, and still has the key.
This pile of bits is actually a shelving unit that attaches to the wall. I'm looking forward to rebuilding it and painting it. I think it was $5. I love how ornate it is. Kind of looks Swedish.
The store had several nice blue mason jars, but I really loved this shape. It's very unique, and it was only $4.50 for the quart (no lid.)
I just thought this little cottage frame was adorable. And it was $1.
This belt is adorable. It's missing a little bit of enamel, but I'll just fill it in. $1.
 I thought this retro 70's tablecloth was just sunny and cheery. And $2.
And then, my find of the day! A mini vintage cathedral window quilt. All hand stitched. Lovely. And $2.
 Love love love. Here's some detail.





For just some happy, here's a picture of Boo Boo, chilling with me on the bed. He's been doing this every night. It's unbearably cute.



In other news, my cow share is possibly the best thing that has ever happened to me.
I gave one jar to a friend, and we both got over a cup of cream from each half gallon. I made butter out of mine in the food processor, which was possibly the easiest thing I've ever done. No more shaking a jar for me! (Except in case of zombie apocalypse, in which case I'll need all the arm muscle I can get.) I used the buttermilk to make biscuits, and also made a pot of chicken and dumplings from scratch (not from one of my girls. Kroger had whole chickens on sale though.) I've been reading this book
which I got through Inter Library Loan. I'm in love with it. If you've ever wanted to make any kind of dairy product at home, this is definitely a good place to start! I'm thinking of starting some yogurt incubating tonight, and possibly making some queso blanco this weekend if I get to it!

Well that's all for now, folks! Have a great weekend!
~Sarah




No comments:

Post a Comment