Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Resolutions?

For years I have made New Years resolutions that I couldn't keep. Like lose 50 lbs and other such absurdness. This year I am going to make some resolutions that I know I can keep. I resolve to expand my garden, experiment with vegetables I have never planted, and grow some fruit trees. And the #1 resolution I am going to make is to give my nephews lots of loves and kisses when they come home from the hospital. As you might remember they were born in October at 26 weeks. They are now almost at, and at the 4 lb mark. On Christmas day my Sister and Brother in Law were able to hold their boys for the first time! The anticipation of them coming home is growing and swelling in my heart daily!!! In January we will be throwing them and their parents a homecoming party since we weren't able to have a baby shower. Something else has been weighing on my mind as well on January 10th I will turn 26. I will be doing a lot of reflecting between now and then on both my past and future and goals I want to obtain!

To ring in your new year with luck and prosperity here is a nice recipe for Hoppin John!

  • 1 (16-ounce) package dried black-eyed peas
  • 2 large ham hocks (about 3/4 pound)
  • 2 tablespoons bacon drippings 
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 large onion, cut into wedges 
  • 1 teaspoon salt 
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 chicken bouillon cube
  • Hot cooked white rice 

Preparation

  1. Bring dried black-eyed peas and water to cover to a boil in a Dutch oven; remove from heat, and let stand 1 hour. Drain.
  2. Remove skin from ham hocks. Chop meat from ham hocks, reserving bones.
  3. Sauté meat in hot bacon drippings in a large skillet over medium-high heat 3 minutes or until slightly browned.
  4. Combine peas, meat, bones, 4 cups water, and next 8 ingredients in Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, gently stirring occasionally, 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until peas are tender. Remove and discard bones. Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment