Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Ancient Mystery of Bread

Bread, its been around forever, we eat it everyday, but yet so many people are intimidated by making their own. I am here to tell you ladies and gents, its not that hard, and you don't need one of those stupid bread machines. Kneading bread is one of life's little stress relievers. Oh and did I mention home made bread on a normal basis costs pennies compared to buying bread from the store. The recipe I found for regular daily loaf bread is pretty darn fool proof. As you will see in the pictures, I chose to make this weeks loaves with wheat flour, as I am trying to be a bit healthier. The recipe I am giving you can be used with any type of flour, I promise! The main thing is good yeast that is fresh. And I promise, cross my heart if you dear readers have questions, I will answer them quickly as I can. Here's the recipe! Have fun with it!

Triple Risen Bread

3 cups lukewarm water
1.5 tbs. yeast
1.5 tbs. salt
.5 cup honey
.25 cup melted butter
6.5 cups flour (any type you want, seriously)

Step 1: Mix the first 5 ingredients together.
Step 2: Mix in flour one cup at a time until flour is blended in.
Step 3:  Flour a surface.
Step 4: Dump mixture out on the floured surface.
Step 5: Knead dough until it is no longer sticky, you will need to add more flour while you knead.
Step 6: Put dough in a large bowl.
Step 7: Cover with a dry dish towel and let bread rise to double its original size.
Step 8: Take out and knead again on a floured surface.
Step 9: Put back in bowl and let rise again.
Step 10: Grease and flour 2 bread pans.
Step 11: Take brad out of the bowl, cut in half, and form to fit into loaf pans, put bread in loaf pans, seam side down.
Step 12: Let bread rise to double its size in the loaf pans.
Step 13: Preheat oven to 400.
Step 14: Cut top of bread down the middle for split top bread loaves.
Step 15: Bake for 30 minutes, turning halfway through baking for evenly baked loaves.
TADA!!!!!


While normal bread is fabulous, sour dough bread is down right amazing! So while I was making my normal loaves I went ahead and made some wheat sour dough starter. Here is a great link that can tell you alllllll about making sour dough bread. http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/blueroom/sour.htm Its not the most beautiful process, but the end product is what really really counts!

Well that's all for me today folks! See you Sunday!

2 comments:

  1. I have a fabulous bread recipe if you would like it. For the first several years I was married, I never bought a loaf of bread...it is soooo easy,inexpensive and delish!! Kneading is good exercise AND your house will smell wonderful. So many reasons why!Yours looks beautiful Patricia.
    Mom Cooper:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love a new recipe!!! Please send!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete