Monday, August 29, 2011

Saucy Lady

So, about a week ago, I bout a $5 basket of roma tomatoes from a Mennonite farm in Scottsville.



I was pretty darn excited since my roma plant (which took forever to find, because they all looked terrible) was the first to get eaten by something. So, I finally got around to doing something with them today. Sort of following this recipe, I tried first to put them through the food mill. No dice. So, I blanched, cooled, peeled, and de-seeded an entire basket of tomatoes. Because I am a crazy person. I made a hot mess of the kitchen (spilled tomato juice everywhere, seeds and juice splattered far and wide), but in the end, I wound up with a huge bowl of skins and seeds for the chickens (happy girls!), a good amount of tomato juice, and a huge bowl of tomato meat.


Not bad, before work!

Tonight when I get home, I'll cook them down, and see what I come up with. Tomato sauce is pretty much impossible to mess up. Anything that's mushed up tomatoes is good with me.


In other garden news, look what I found!!



It's MAGICAL.

My first pumpkin to grow successfully, to full term. I had one that I accidentally knocked off the vine too soon (it was adorable too...), and one that had gotten nibbled from the underside which went to the chickens. But this one is perfect. The vine had dried up, but it made it through. I'm so proud. Now I need to decide what to do with it. I don't think it will last long enough to carve, so I'll probably eat it.


In crafty news, I finished the entire tea set that goes with the cup I made the other day!! The tea cup pattern can be found here, and the tea pot and saucers come from this site. I just used white tissue paper to paper mache it, since I actually really liked the look of the box art. Are you ready for this? Cause really... it's amazing...





Oh yeah. I'm that good.

I'm keeping this one for me (Oh, the Boysenberry tea pot!!), but I've already cut out another to make for some very special little ladies in my life... Hopefully they enjoy it as much as I do!!

No comments:

Post a Comment