Sunday, August 28, 2011

Using technology to help children learn.

Hey guys, we here at the Thrift house are a pretty techy bunch. Friday we had a parent teacher conference with Cheyenne's teacher to kind of see where she is with different aspects of the class. She is having some trouble with her letters, numbers, and with phonics. So I started to think of ways that could help her other than the usual flash cards. Then I remembered oh yeah, I own an android phone, a android based tablet, a laptop, and an iPod touch, there has got to be resources out there that can help her with the millions of apps and programs. So off to the search I go with the simple want that it needs to be free, I don't want to spend money on something when she might get bored with it to quickly. And these are my findings to share with you. Android really doesn't have much to offer unless you want to pay 3.99 or more for simple letter and number games. The free versions only seem to go up to the letter h and the number 5. On apple it is nearly the same, except where android has actual games in its free versions, apple apps don't even have that. This brings me to the laptop. I have found a ton of sites!!! Starfall.com is great for letters and phonics. Pbskids.org has a ton of different games on all different subjects as does disneyjr.com and nickjr.com, so in closing today I guess I think that the good old Internet still reigns supreme on the free kids education front. Sorry to be so boring unfoody and uncrafty today, but sometimes the kid takes my mind to different realms.

No comments:

Post a Comment