Friday, August 12, 2011

Book Fair

I believe I've mentioned before that I work in an academic library. It's not only tons of fun, but it also provides me, oddly enough, with oodles of supplies for various craft projects. We've been going through an enormous collection review, weeding out old, out-of-date books. Some are donated to different charities, but some are just beyond redemption and are recycled. A co-worker of mine, knowing my penchant for strange items that can be reused, pulled a book out of the recycling the other day, and of course that means PROJECT TIME.

You might remember my first Kindle cover that I made from a composition notebook.



Yes, I am brilliant.

That one cost me somewhere around 50 cents. Outrageous. I decided to use the book pilfered from the trash as Kindle cover v2.0. I really liked my composition book one, but it's just *slightly* too shallow. The velcro gives it enough space to cover the Kindle, but I'm terrified I'll crack the screen or something. The book that was found for me was definitely thick enough to be a little more protective.



Definitely.

And so...

I took this.



Yeah, not even I want to read this.

And so I got to cutting. And cutting. And cutting.

I cut the front part of the book to fit the Kindle, rounded edges and all. I'll probably sink some velcro down there too so that it closes flush (more on that in a later post.)



The front. Much neater this time.

There was a lot of book left over once I had cut deep enough to fit the kindle, and I wanted to get rid of some of the weight, so I left about fifty pages and then started cutting again.



Not as neat this time though.

That left the edge to keep it from getting crushed, but cut the weight by a ton. Maybe not literally. But still. All that's left to do now is glue all the edges together and affix the velcro! Hopefully I'll get it done tonight.

And so I leave you with this image:



What happens to patrons who don't return books.

I'm joking.

Or am I?

No comments:

Post a Comment