Saturday, October 29, 2011

What's this? ITS HALLOWEEN! (Almost)


If you all hadn't read before, let me take a moment to say I work for a university (in the library.) If there's one thing that universities (and university towns) take seriously, it's Halloween. And that fits me just fine. Halloween/ Day of the Dead are absolutely my favorite holidays, hands down. This year, because of moving, I have seriously slacked on the fall decorating. Most of my decorations went to my office, to be oo'ed and awe'd over by the students (everyone loves my huge glitter skulls. Who wouldn't!?) However, moving did not cure my costume fever, past or present.


The other night, some of the girls and I had a "drag out all of Sarah's costume crap and play dress-up" night. What fun! Two big rubbermaid tubs and a basket of stuff, and that still wasn't all of it! We took some silly videos, but here were a few of the highlights:
 The Jane Austen dresses never fail to please. They are also pretty much the most comfortable things ever.
Hilarity ensued when we found my "historically accurate socks" and single mock-up of a shoe, made out of none other than a vinyl tablecloth. I kid you not. We rolled.
Here is my niece in her costume, which is only a little bit long in the shoulders! Her cape magically matches, even though neither her mom or I had seen what the other was doing! Brilliant!

And now the big reveal! Since I work in the library, I needed a work-appropriate costume. First I had planned on being Ms. Frizzle from the Magic School Bus, but I couldn't find the right dress. Instead, I decided on Mary Poppins (I am practically perfect in EVERY way, after all!) I already had a skirt that would work, but needed a frilly white shirt, squashy hat, some old-lady heel, and a carpet bag. My friend and I went on the thrifting trip of a lifetime and scored big! She found everything she needed for her Carmen San Diego costume, and I found everything I needed, all in 2 stops! It was magical. The stars aligned.
 Unfortunately, I didn't get pics of the whole thing finished, but here's a taste!

The skirt, I already owned. The frilly shirt, shoes, and hat were Goodwill finds, and the jacket and bag were Salvation Army finds. I added trim to the jacket this week. The bowtie is just some ribbon hot glued to a safety pin.
 The hat what just a straw hat, spray painted black. I gussied it up with some berries and cheap flowers.
This is also the first Halloween costume that I've finished a WEEK before!
So what did all this cost me?
  • Skirt: Free
  • Shirt: $2.50
  • Jacket: $2
  • Trim: $1
  • Bag: $1.99
  • Shoes: $3
  • Hat: $1.50
  • Fake flowers: $2
  • Bowtie: Free
  • Tights (which I will wear): Free
Total:  $13.99

That makes me one
happy Mary Poppins :-)

In other news, I made a fabulous cauliflower crust pizza. Nom nom nom.





No comments:

Post a Comment