Thursday, January 26, 2012

Here Comes the Sun (Eventually!) And zombies.

Even with my life in upheaval, not knowing what my job will be or where I'll be living in the next month, I couldn't help myself but buy seeds. I know. I know. ANOTHER thing to move if I do. But hey, if the zombie apocalypse happens in the next month, you're going to want to be on my team... 

Everything I ordered came from Baker Creek Seed Co, which deals exclusively with rare and heirloom seeds, and operates a huge seed bank (in case of zombies I bet.) They're a family-run operation, and they're just so darn cute I can't help buy buy from them.


They also carry all kinds of neato stuff, which helps. And look at that guy's shirt!!


So what did I buy?

Haha, complete randomness! I'm currently at work, but I got a bee in my bonnet about ordering seeds (I have a secret project in mind and I really want to get started!) I couldn't remember exactly what I already have (pretty much all the essentials I think) so I just ordered odd and unusual things.
Here's the run through, and any running commentary I have to offer.

First up, I bought Aoyu edamame. I am obsessed with edamame. It's green, which is unusual for me, but these little guys are better than chips!

I go through phases, but sometimes I'll eat a bag a day, which I think might mean I need a 10-step program... So, as they say, grow what you eat. And I eat a lot of edamame. It's also sort of low and bushy, so I'm going to try it in containers and see how it does.

Next up, I got some Stuttgarter onion seeds. I've never done onions from seed, so I'm interested to try. I bought this variety for sentimentality's sake... We used to live in Germany, and we always said something REALLY big was "Bigger than Stuttgart!" I think these guys might live up to that name!



Whoa.

Then, I got some small Spoon Gourds. Because HOLY CRAP I CAN GROW FLATWARE.
 
 No really. Holy. Cow. Isn't that neat? Again, when the zombies rise, I don't want to have to eat with my hands.*

Also, in case of zombie apocalypse, we're going to need a protein source, right? Well folks, quinoa is one awesome grain that also has almost entirely complete amino acids. (I'm pretty sure it's complete, but I thought I'd throw that qualifier out there for all you haters.) Quinoa is a grain, with a very light taste, that is delicious! It also looks to be easy  to grow (doesn't do well in hot weather though, sorry Patricia!) and is lovely to look at.
This one is called "Brightest Brilliant Quinoa." Lovely!

I also got two other veggies, but those are the super-secret ones. As soon as I've completed my nefarious plans, I'll let you know what they are!

Then I did something I rarely do: I bought flower seeds. I don't know why, but I hardly ever think to start flowers from seed. 

These zinnias caught my eye, and there's nothing like a huge patch of zinnias to brighten your day. They also make great cut flowers. 

 I've been wanting these Strawflowers forever, so I finally bit the bullet and bought them. 
Not only are they pretty on the plant, with a neat papery texture, but they also dry beautifully and last virtually forever (or at least until my cats chew on them.)

Lastly, I got these little babies: 
Dwarf Jewel Nasturtiums. Why? Why not! They're pretty, grow out of control (although these ones are supposed to be more compact), and, heck, you can eat the flowers. Do you need another reason?

I hope you all are as excited for spring as I am. All of this will likely be put in containers, so stay tuned to see how they turn out!

~Sarah

*I don't really plan for the zombie apocalypse. However, I do like knowing that, no matter what comes, I'll be fed. And spooned. And, ok, maybe I'm a little paranoid about zombie apocalypse. Just a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment