Monday, January 16, 2012

You have questions? I have answers!

I asked my facebook friends to post some questions they would like answers to and I got some nibbles! I hope these answers help more people than just the people who asked the questions!

From Tiffany: Gardening tips (fertilizer, bug issues, etc); Favorite recipes

               Fertilizer is always a big question. If you want full organic then composting is the way to go. I will actually be doing a full post about that on Wed. seeing as how I just built a compost bin from cinder blocks. If going fully organic isn't a big deal for you, in our area a good 10-10-10 mix is the most common to use.
                With bug issues, you can use your normal pesticides, but, then you run the risk of all the ickys going into your body, and that is bad. There are all different kinds of natural pesticides that you can use. Many herbs and flowers are great for some pest control issues here is a great site that tells what plant is good for what pest http://www.gardensablaze.com/Companions/CompanionPest.htm
                  And some of my favorite recipes are kind of all over the place. One that is always a big hit is called Stuff in a Bowl. It's super easy, full of flavor and pretty quick to get on the table. The ingredients are 1 box of long grain wild rice (flavored), one can of black beans or blackeyed peas, and 1/2 lb of GA Boy smoked sausage cut into bite sized pieces. Follow the directions on the box of rice as normal, when rice is fully cooked add beans undrained, when they have cooked down a bit add the sausage, serve when sausage is warmed through!


From Sarah: Gardening for rookies! How can I grow my own tomatoes in a pot....or whatever it is they can grow in!?

                Tomatoes are so easy to grow not in a garden setting. I would get 5 gallon buckets or large terra cotta pots,if you want them to look prettier, to plant them in. I suggest for a beginner to buy the plant seedlings, all of my family even though we are old hats at planting still buy plants instead of starting them from seed. You can usually find these in the spring at your local home depot or hardware store. Use miracle grow or something like it when watering instead of using a larger garden space fertilizer. Good luck!


From Candice: I have some herb and sweet pea seeds i have no idea what to do with. The best glitter paint for accenting a mural wall ... and any ideas for what to with those tiny vinyl records with the big hole...im thinking bracelets.


              A 5 gallon bucket would be great for the peas, I would plant them there are built them a little trellis to grow up onto. For the herb seeds I would go to the dollar store, this time of year they usually sell the long planters, depending on what they are you can either plant them indoors on a window sill or outside in a nice sunny place. If you keep them fed and watered they should last quite a while!
              There is actually clear glitter spray paint that can be bought at most all home improvement stores! It should work well, but make sure the area is well ventilated. 
              Bracelets are an awesome idea! I want pictures!!!
             

No comments:

Post a Comment