Thursday, January 19, 2012

Knitting and the Past

Or Knitting IN the Past? You decide!

Yesterday, I had an interview for a farmer/historical interpreter position at this historic farm outside of DC. I'm super excited about it... it seems like all of my favorite interests and hobbies into one job, and then PAYS ME to do it. Really. Effing. Exciting.

It did get me thinking though: If I actually get this job, I'm going to have to cover the tattoo on my forearm. You know what that means?

KNITTING PROJECT!!

I found a pattern on Ravelry for 18th century mitts (ie fingerless gloves), which were apparently very popular back in the day. They kept your hands warm in the winter, and protected from the sun in the summer. They also cover tattoos nicely. And so, the knitting began!

The pattern is really easy, and I modified it a bit, but not too much.

Kind of looks like some sort of torturous medical device at this point.
 There's a really neat "seam" detail on the outside edge.


 The whole arm


 Hand detail


 Inside out gives you a good view of all of the shaping in the forearm that makes it fit nicely.


 Palm side


 And finally, the thumb side!

I really like them, they fit nicely, and they should keep my hands toasty (and tattoo covered) nicely. It definitely is going to take another skein to finish the second one, so I stopped by Michael's today! For some reason, this one took me like 6 days to finish. Since I wrote down what I did on the first one, and I'm in the groove, the second one might not take is long!

So, my deal with the universe is that I will actually finish the second one, and so will get the job! Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment