Monday, September 19, 2011

I Dream of Ikea

Hey everybody! Because of my internet situation (and the fact that I haven't even unpacked my computer yet), I will henceforth be posting on Mondays and Thursdays. Woo!

So, moving houses always makes me aware of the need for more storage space. You can never have enough. For the past two years I've had this *huge* army surplus dresser, that actually had very little usable space: two tiny drawers than can hardly fit socks rolled up, one WAY too big drawer, and two cupboard-like spaces on the bottom. Yuck. I've moved it a couple of times, but this time I put my foot down. "I am buying a good dresser. I'm a big girl."

You know what that means...


IKEA TRIP!

*L and I, along with her BFF (who has a truck!) headed off to Cincinnati this weekend.


Gotta try out ALL of the couches!



Halfway through, gotta have a cake stop!



Whatchu call me?



Holy moly, that's a lot of purchases.

The people in front of us spent $1300. *L guessed it almost exactly.

When we got home, at like 11pm (5 HOURS in Ikea! WHEW!), the living room looked like a box farm.



Whoooooaaaa.

Ikea's flat packs are awesome, but they were waaaaaaaay to heavy to lug upstairs, so I brought them up piece by piece.



Lots of pieces...

The instructions say it takes two men to build this.



Or one girl with power tools.

People always complain about Ikea's instructions and how difficult they are to understand, but they are literally pictographs. Super. Easy. The only thing to watch out for is the little boxes that show you "use this hardware, not this." That really is important.

Lucky for me, I had a helper. A super-speedy helper.



All in all, it took a little over an hour to put the whole thing together. I finished the drawers the next day since they took a lot of hammering and I started at like 3am...

AND THE REVEAL!



TADA!

A usable dresser! I'm super excited. All my tshirts fit in ONE drawer! AMAZING.

I also bought this neat chest with the intention of cutting a hole in the side and making it a hidden catbox.



Notice, that amazing basil plant from Trader Joe's!

Once I got it together though, I fell in love. I want to put things in it. Blankets, jackets, costumes, fabric. I don't care. The cats can't have it. I'd rather still look at the catbox. Besides, look who trained himself!



No joke. The bunny really did potty train himself to the catbox. I'm thrilled. I'm also paranoid that if I hide the catbox, he'll stop using it. So the blanket chest remains mine, and Boo Boo keeps his catbox. Win-win!

Sebastian has also finally found the couch and is chilling just fine.



Whew! It was a busy weekend. Can't wait to see what Patricia's girl scouts come up with on Wednesday!

~Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment