Monday, September 26, 2011

Make Do

"Use it up, wear it out, make do, or do without."

Words of wisdom, no doubt, but ones that are hard to adhere to strictly in a consumer-driven society. I am certainly not the best example of this adage, but I do try to do my best whenever I can.

Tonight was a pretty good example of how I both embody and flout this notion, simultaneously. It all starts with a confession: I have a shoe problem. A pretty bad one. And sure, I'm a girl, and that's to be expected. But I still feel terrible about my 60+ pair shoe collection (granted, a lot of them are second hand.) I've been trying to keep myself from buying more, and trying to wear them all or get rid of them.

While feeding my caffeine addiction in the coffee shop at work, I noticed that the rope on one of my favorite pair of wedges was completely falling off.



And aren't they adorable?

"Wear it out."

Unfortunately, let me reiterate that they're one of my favorite pairs. And I usually don't do anything but flats.

So... "Make do."



That's right. I stapled my shoe together.

Certainly, this is not a permanent fix. But it will certainly keep me from walking around with half my shoe flopping off.

I refuse to "do without."

So why is this such a big deal to me?

I guess it's that I hate seeing people take a perfectly good item and literally throw it away (not donate, not give to a friend, not find a new use for) simply because it has a cosmetic flaw or something so simple as a missing button. Did your dryer put a pinhole in your favorite sweater? Darn it! Put a patch on it! Embroider over it! For God's sake, don't just throw it out.



In related, but not really, news, I had leftover pumpkin pie filling last night, and so I made little pumpkin handpies.



Hand. Pies.

I just used store bought crust, so they aren't as delectable as they could be, but it was pretty good for 2 am ;-)

Last up: What's in my book bag today?


I work in a library, so usually there are a LOT of things in my book bag, but this is what I'm currently digesting.



I worked in Montessori schools for two years and really loved it, both as a job and as a teaching method. I've been missing it lately, so I'm brushing up with this oh-so-up-to-date volume ;-)

So what's your favorite ways to Use it up, wear it out, make do, or do without?

Hope everyone's having a good week!

~Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment